Navigation/Menü: Links auf weitere Seiten dieser Website und Banner
Workstation and PC Cluster ChemNet
The computer cluster ChemNet will go out of service presumably in August 2016. It will be replaced by the new computer cluster BCPnet.
Please note: The email service of chemistry has migrated to the computer center. Please use the mail server of ZEDAT in the future!
Cost free use of Microsoft Software
By means of the DreamSpark program (previously MSDNAA) of Microsoft, members and students of the department of Biologie-Chemie-Pharmazie may use numerous Microsoft products (e.g. Windows operating systems) free of cost. Registration is required. Details are available here.
PC Pool for Students
The PC pool is located in Fabeckstr. 36a, room 304(a).
Password Change in "ChemNet"
1. Unix/Linux/E-Mail: Login (by means of ssh, e.g., using puTTY) to the computer odin.chemie.fu-berlin.de and use the command passwd.
2. Windows "Kennwort" (domain ChemNet): Login as usual (by means of the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Delete), then press again the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select the control field "Kennwort ändern".
Information about Linux/Unix ChemNet
ChemNet is a Network of Unix computers at the Institut für Chemie und Biochemie. Currently it consists essentially of Linux servers and a few SGI Iris Indigo workstations. The servers are also accessible from personal computers running MS Windows (via X server emulations such as Xming/XLaunch or xwin32). There are short overviews of the installed software as well as smaller programs and utilities.
- SGI Indigo/Indy: Hints for Beginners
- Some user guides on the SGI Indigos
- A short introduction to UNIX
- SGI Indigo/Indy: User environment configuration
- Keyboard table, generation of umlauts with an US-keyboard
- Some remarks about "Diskspace"
- Program package overview (described in detail)
- Overview of small programs and utilities (short version)
- Guides for several programs (Index)
Communication in the Net
- Introduction to NetNews (USENET)
- Internet Information Systems, WorldWideWeb (WWW)
- Computer networking
- Local information about our network
The UNIX Operation System
The Graphical User Interface (GUI) X-Window
- Informationen zum X Window System
- Customization of the user environment
- Hints for the configuration of X window (About X)
The Graphical User Interface for PCs
- Rules for the use of the PC pool
- PCs in the pool (instructions)
- PC pool in the library (Takustr. 3): Regulations
- Registration of new ChemNet computers (PC, Macintosh ...)
- Hints for the installation of programs (IRIX; draft)